Sunday, April 24, 2011

Training in progress

After a week back on land, and a few running sessions under my belt, I am glad to report that it looks like I am on track for the half marathon for which I am signed up the first Sunday of June. I was able to get a track workout with the club on Tuesday. We did 4x400s, followed by 1x800 and followed by another 400. The slow group, at least the one I knew before my trip, doubled in size from two to four. We were able to be somewhat consistent in the 400s, doing the first at a blistering 1:50, much faster than what we should have been doing, but we followed that up with three laps at 1:53 or 1:54. Our 800 was a 3:53 which is right in line with our 400s. Our last 400 was 1:55 so this was a good evening for us. It really pushed us and I think it will definitely help me in the half. There are six weeks to go until the race, and I now have a trip to Mammoth planned in a couple of weeks that will take away one of my long run days. Yes, skiing in May!! The record snowfall will probably keep the mountain open until July.

Speaking of skiing, I broke down and bought skis this past Saturday. It was partly as a reward for enduring the barge trip - the overtime pay is more than adequate to pay for the skis and boots that I bought, and it was partly a reward for the 11 mile run I did on Saturday. It was the usual long run on Saturdays. Meet up at Inside Track and away we go. Brandy and I were joined by Kim, another who can run at our pace. I had planned on doing 8, turning around at the 4 mile mark, but was open to going to the 5 mile marker so as not to leave the other two alone. I knew that I could always walk a portion to go back to my car and not feel like a failure for not running all the way. I have completed a half marathon before and I did walk portions of it. We went to the 5 mile mark and decided to go a little more. At the 5.5 mile mark it was decided to turn around and go back. It was turning out to be a warmer than expected day and it was beginning to show its effects.

Up to this point we were doing a good job of averaging about 10:15 to 10:25 miles. I felt pretty good during the run, for the most part but we did stop as a group, although briefly, on a couple of occasions. The stops seemed to reenergize me enough that I was able to keep running. Brandy was struggling a little so I started to lead the pack. After all of the times she leads, or I make her take the lead, it was the least I could do. I think I led the last two miles. Maybe it was that but we were all able to make it back to Inside Track, completing 11 miles. I think I could have done another mile nonstop, but I was also glad that we reached our end for the day. Brandy and Kim noted that I looked strong even in the end of our run, which really made me feel good. I am really thankful for all of the help I have gotten from the club, from being able to run with others, especially Brandy who has helped me take it nice and easy in the long runs. I know that I would be going so much faster running on my own and that is just begging for an injury. As it is I am feeling a little tight in the hams and quads. I really need to stretch afterwards. Guess I still have a lot of learning to do in this running thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment