Sunday, March 20, 2011

New shoes

Late last week I noticed that the shoes with which I have been running, a pair of Nike Lunarglide+2, were worn out quite unevenly. The heel on the left shoe was worn a little more on the inside than the outside, and the front was worn out somewhat evenly. The right shoe however had a lot of wear on the outside heel. It was so worn out it was white, the black bottom was gone. I was hoping to keep this pair until after the Old Agoura 10K but since I already had bought a replacement of the same kind of shoe, I decided to start running with the new Nikes. I also decided to go to Inside Track and ask questions about the uneven wear on the shoes.

So on Friday I went in and showed off the old shoes. The first comment given to me even before I showed the sole of the shoes were that the pair was too big for me. I always thought that I had wide feet so I needed a wider shoe. Roadrunner Sports also checked things out and this was the pair that best fit me. I liked the wider toe box, as it didn't crush my toes like other shoes did. So I tried on some Brooks Ghost and in a size 8, vice the 8 1/2 of the Nikes. Again I was told that the Nikes were too big for me. I ran with the new shoes and they checked out my form. Was advised to try out a different pair of shoes, one that was neutral instead of a stability shoe. Again Roadrunner suggested a stability shoe for me. So I tried out a pair of Brooks Glycerin and my running form checked out again.

Guess this time around things looked better but still had no reason for the uneven wear on the heel other than a question as to whether I dragged my heel now and then. After thinking about it, I do believe I do drag my heel every few steps. I have seen similar wear on my dress shoes. So now I have a new pair of Brooks, first time I have ever worn the brand. Guess I can start using these shoes in time for the races this weekend. Tuesday is a track workout so that should be okay to break them in then. I will have to warm up before so that should give me enough feedback as to whether I can get used to them in time. I still have the newer Nikes as backup - guess that's what their role will be now. Or maybe I can alternate between the two. Have to ask if that's a good idea or not.

2 comments:

  1. Wear your old ones on Saturday's 10k - there will be MUD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thanks for the suggestion you made on my thread at Active.com. I appreciate it. I have butterflies in my stomach that probably won't really go until I cross the finish line.

    Ruthinian

    ReplyDelete